We hope you are as excited as we are about our 2013 Rochester Walk to Cure Diabetes!
This post contains important information about the Walk, so please read it in its entirety. We can’t wait to celebrate everyone’s hard work together on Saturday, June 8 at RIT! Remember, we walk rain or shine, so please come prepared for the day’s weather!
- Please be sure your Walker Collection Envelope is fully completed including team name and team captain’s name and the total amount in the envelope.
- If you have not registered online prior to Walk Day, please complete your contact information. Keep in mind that address is preferred in order to expedite the delivery of JDRF post-Walk information and prizes.
- Checks should be made payable to JDRF.
- If you have a large amount of cash or coins to turn in on Walk Day, please convert the total amount to personal check.
- If you raise $100, you will receive a JDRF Walk t-shirt. Regardless of how much in excess of $100 you raise, there is a limit of one (1) t-shirt per Walker! This will help us ensure that each eligible participant is able to leave with a limited edition shirt!
Walk Day Schedule
9:00 AM – Walk Check-In (and the FUN!) Begins: When you arrive at the Gordon Field House, head to the Walker Check-In area to turn in any offline donations you collected and get your t-shirt coupon if eligible. Our friendly volunteers can help you with any donation/check-in questions you might have!
9:30 AM – Team T-Shirt Contest – Call for Entries: Be sure to listen for announcements beginning at 9:30 for your chance to enter the team t-shirt contest! We’ll ask that you send a smiling representative (or two!) from your team to have a photo of your t-shirt taken. This counts as your entry into the contest, and winners will be announced at the Awards Reception in August!
10:00 AM – Get to Steppin’! The Walk Begins: Enjoy a brisk walk around the beautiful RIT campus! In case you’re counting, twice around the designated Walk route is 3 miles (5K). We encourage you to walk the full 5K!
Food, Fun and Entertainment
Walk Day is a celebration complete with many family oriented activities! After you check-in, we encourage you to visit the vendors – sample chips and salsa provided by LiDestri Foods, learn about the JDRF Ride to Cure Diabetes cycling events happening across the country, and explore Get Your Sweat On’s new app for iPhone called “Workout in a Box for Kids!”.
In addition, don’t forget to stop by the Harley Bellonner Hipster booth near the face painters! Abigail Riggs and The Harley School announced the Harley Bellonner Hipster at the JDRF Gala in 2012. The Harley Bellonner Hipster is a new addition to the Abigail Riggs Purse with a Purpose collection and is a hip-hugging, hands-free hipster made with easy-access pockets for special amenities and easier management of supplies needed in the daily lives of individuals with diabetes. The Harley School and Abigail Riggs are pleased to raffle the Harley Bellonner Hipster at this year’s Walk!
On top of all that, the Walk features TWO inflatables – an obstacle course and homerun derby, a photo booth complete with costumes, face painting, hair tinsel, music and much more!
Refreshments are available! JDRF would like to extend a special thank you to Tops Friendly Markets – Platinum Partner for a Cure, Coca Cola, Upstate Farms, Frito-Lay, Tim Horton’s Cafe and Bake Shop and Pepsi for their generous donations of our Walk Day goodies!
Team Photos have two (2) locations within the Field House – one is straight across from the main entrance and the other is near the Clix photo booth in the back of the building.
We look forward to seeing you on Walk Day!